Saturday, May 30, 2009

Passwords

I remember having a discussion with my father when I first got my Social Security Number. He counseled me to memorize it. I did so and put it in my head with my address and phone number. I had a fairly normal childhood - memorize the bike combination, the locker combination. License plate number, Driver's license - it was all pretty simple.

I find it very unfair that the older I've gotten when my brain doesn't always "find" information as quickly, that I have to have a password for everything. Scottie and I were talking one day and he told me my blackberry had this great thing. i could actually enter all my passwords into this spot on my phone. So he showed me how it worked. We entered one. Of course I had to use a password to get INTO the password section.

I realized yesterday that I have no memory at all of what the password was that I set to get into the password file on my phone.

My biggest fear in life right now is that when I die and end up in a hotter place than I had hoped...that it will be an endless questioning of what all my passwords were in life!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ha ha! Okay this is a hilarious post. I completely agree with you. The most frustrating part to me about the whole "password issue" is that many places make you change your password every 60 or 90 days so it's not like you can just use the same password for everything. And different sites have different password requirements. For some my "go-to" password is too short, some it's too long and some it isn't "difficult" enough. So I end up having strange passwords all over the place. Argh! So I resulted in a Word document on my desktop with all my passwords to seriously everything I can think of. How else am I supposed to remember?